Friday, January 23, 2009

Finding A Friend In Isolation

Return to original post


Dear Lynne,

So sorry to hear about your circumstances. I was a military wife for 23 years and moved often. It was hard, but I did have the other military wives and that helped. I know at times I felt life just was not fair and my husband had his job and other men waiting for him. I had the boxes and children to get in school. I look back now and realize that God had determined my boundaries (Acts 17:26) to make me become the person He wanted me to be. I had blamed my husband for so many years and then while we were living in Japan, a missionary told me I was blaming the wrong person and gave me that verse. I did not like that very much because it was so much easier to blame my husband than God.

Loneliness is a tool of the enemy to get us down and depressed and feeling very much like no one cares. I know, I have felt the same way. Have you thought about volunteering or joining a Bible study? Whether or not they are friendly to you or not, you show them how a Christian reaches out to everyone with a kind word and a smile. You witness to them. Tell them you are lonely and ask if they have any suggestions. Do you like to read or do hobbies? The most important thing you can do for yourself and your husband is tell God. Ask Him to guide you in the direction where you can feel needed by others. Pray for a friend and get out there and do your best to stay busy. With it being a rural area it makes it hard but pray about that, too.

I am so sorry to hear about your little boy. Praise God you will see him again someday when you reach your heavenly home. What a homecoming that will be!

I know in my lonely valleys I got into God's Word and learned more about Him. There are some great studies you can do on your own if there is not one at church. Better yet, start you own study. In fact, ask the ladies over for dessert one night since they work. Or maybe you and your husband could give a barbecue on the week-end. You could also pray for the prayer requests at your church and send notes or call them to let them know you are praying for them.

Try not to take it personally, people are just too busy. They don't mean to be and most of them are probably unaware of your loneliness. Again, ask God to put some special people in your life that you can reach out to. Then hopefully they will reach back and take and become your friend.

In Him,
Sandy

No comments: